Happy Year of the Monkey, smart, clever, powerful, and bold. It is believed good fortune to have a child born in the Year of the Monkey.
For the Year of the Monkey...
- Lucky colours are white, blue & gold
- Lucky numbers are 4 & 9
- Lucky flower is chrysanthamum
- Years of birth:
Customs that help welcome the New Year:
- Wear new clothes, particularly if they are bright, cheery colours. Red symbolises prosperity, so monkeys are advised to wear red (underwear included) to multiply their good fortune.
- Give red envelopes stuffed with money.
- Set off firecrackers to drive away evil spirits.
- Bring shoes indoors before going to bed, to protect them from evil spirits' thievery.
Wondering what your year is according to the Chinese Zodiac? In the image below, you can find the animal associated with the year you were born. The Year of the Monkey is followed by the Year of the Rooster, but that's nearly a year away. Meantime, celebrate the Year of the Monkey from now until 17 January 2017.